In the wake of the very scary fall Abby had on Monday (if you don't read my other blog you can see the whole tale HERE) Tuesday didn't prove to end much better. In the middle of the afternoon I was feeling guilty about not doing much with the girls all day. I am back to work soon so I have been scrambling to get caught up. I decided we would do a little quick cooking (which they love) so we decided to try a new recipe. The recipe called for several vegan things Abby has had in the past but also raw cashews, walnuts and agave. (The recipe is insanely good and I HIGHLY recommend it. See Here.)
We were nibbling as we ate, which we always do. When we were done we all tried a little bite of our treat. Within twenty minutes Abby started complaining that she felt sick. I looked at her and she was swollen (in her face) and splotchy all over. It looked almost identical to her egg and milk reaction only maybe a little worse. She was COVERED from head to toe in hives and a rash. I quickly gave her Benadryl. The reaction continued and her sinuses filled and swelled up. She couldn't breath from her nose at all. I was about ready to go to the ER when the swelling subsided a little. We did a bath, a second dose of Benadryl and waited it out.
I called the allergist and they strongly suggest the tree nuts. She will have to go do MORE skin testing in a few weeks but it looks like a tree nut allergy. It's not a huge deal since we deal with avoidance to other foods but it just feels like one more thing to have to look for on the label. The poor kid!