As promised (better late than never!), the chicken rice soup recipe. Go grab those rotisserie chickens!
Chicken Rice Soup
(This is a two step process in our house)
- Chicken or Turkey Carcass
- One skinned carrot
- One skinned and quartered onion
- One stalk of celery
- 8 cups of water
- Place your ingredients in the crock pot and cook low overnight (about 8-10
- NOTE: make sure that you put enough water to cover most of the carcass (could be a little more than 8 cups)
- 1 cup Wild Rice (we LOVE the Lundberg brand)
- Chicken Bouillon cube
- One small onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded or matchstick carrots
- 2 tsp sage
- 2 TB Balsamic Vinegar
- In the morning you will turn off the soup and allow to cool slightly.
- Drain the broth and set aside the chicken that has fallen off the carcass.
- You will need to get a little messy here... pick through the chicken and save all of the good meat. Discard the cooked carrot, onion, bones.
- Place the broth and chicken in the crock pot. Place the rice, bouillon, chopped onion, carrots and spices in the crock pot. If it seems "dry" you can add a little more chicken broth (from a can).
- Cover and cook on low for 6-10 hours.