One of my favorite "stick to your ribs" comfort food is beef stew and good, warm bread for dipping. I have tried many recipes and melded a few together to make Our Beef Stew.
Our Favorite (Crock Pot) Beef Stew
- 1-2 pounds stew meat (I like organic angus beef)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry wine (I used a Cab-Merlot blend)
- 2 large baking potatoes cut into 2 inch pieces (small red potatoes would be nice too)
- 1-2 cups baby carrots
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 can diced tomato with juice
- 1 TB salt
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup each frozen green beans and peas
- In a large skillet heat a few tablespoons of the olive oil. Meanwhile add the beef and flour into a plastic bag and turn to coat.
- Brown the meat, in small batches. When browned place beef into crock pot cooker.
- Add a few more tablespoons oil and add onions. Cook over medium heat until tender (about 8-10 minutes). When tender add tomato paste and garlic and coat the onion. Add to the crock pot.
- Pour the wine (carefully, it will splatter) into the pan and scrape up any brown bits that have clung to the pan. Add that to the cooker.
- Add the potatoes, carrot, broth, diced tomato, seasonings and frozen veggies.
- Cover and cook on high 4 hours or low 7-9 hours.
* I serve this with bread slathered in vegan butter. When you dip the buttered bread into the broth it enhances the broth and the bread!
** Sorry for so few pictures. The migraine headache was keeping me from thinking straight! ;D