For Brian's birthday the girls and I bought him a mushroom growing box. He loves mushrooms and the girls and I firmly boycott them. So we thought this would be fun for him.
We started with a box and a small spray bottle.
- About 8 ounces of oyster mushrooms trimmed
- 1 can petite diced tomato
- 4TB butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- One jar of pesto sauce (or 1/2 cup of homemade)
- 4 servings of your favorite pasta (I used spaghetti)
- Heat water to a boil in a large stock pot (for pasta). Cook until al dente.
- Trim the mushrooms to 2" pieces. Heat butter and garlic in large saucepan. Add mushrooms and saute 5 minutes. Turn up heat and cook mushrooms until they begin to brown.
- Add tomatoes and juice. Cook 2 minutes. Add pesto and turn off the heat.
- When pasta is al dente drain and add to the mushrooms. Turn to coat and serve with fresh parmesan and basil.